15.04 And Nvidia: Login Loop


Answer :

it's you from the future. Here's how I fixed it: I didn't! I re-downloaded the 15.04 image from the Ubuntu website and created a startup "disk" on a USB thumb drive. Today it worked, wehereas it didn't last night :( Perhaps Canonical fixed their image... So I booted from the thumb drive and removed my existing 15.04 and installed a fresh copy! Sure I lost all of my files (VirtualBox, all installed games, etc.) but now Linux works again. Let this be a lesson to you Dustin! Never try and upgrade an Ubuntu OS! Just backup all of your files and do a clean install... just like you used to have to do with Windows!


I had the exact same problem. I'm not sure exactly why it happened, but it seems my kernel was not updated.

To solve that I used Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to a text-based virtual console, logged on there, then ran:

sudo apt-get install linux-generic 

Everything started working again.


My fix for my laptop

Dell xps l502x, so it is Intel + Nvidia optimus graphic card.

Have a look at what you have

dkms status 

You may get something like this

bbswitch, 0.7, 3.19.0-15-generic, x86_64: installed nvidia-340, 340.76, 3.19.0-15-generic, x86_64: installed 

Remove all Nvidia drivers, make Ubuntu back to “clean” state.

Have a look at this: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/144871/remove-all-nvidia-files

Basically, you do:

sudo apt-get purge $(dpkg -l | awk '$2~/nvidia/ {print $2}') 

This should remove all nvidia drivers and now you should be clean.

You may want to double check:

dkms status 

Install Nvidia driver

Have a look at this: http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/ (the command line part)

I tried to install nvidia-349, it didn’t work, then I remember previously I used nvidia-340. It seems important to remember what works for you. I do:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-340 #(you may want to try nvidia-346) 

Look at this long guide

http://rajat-osgyan.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/how-to-install-bumblebee-on-ubuntu.html

On step 4, instead of

sudo echo ON > cat/proc/acpi/bbswitch  

I changed it to

sudo tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<<ON 

based on https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch

Sometimes after turn on bbswitch, reboot, when I do echo /proc/acpi/bbswitch, I still see it OFF. Make sure Nvidia is installed in the first place or reboot for couple of times. If it is OFF, follow the guide to next step.

Reboot

After the guide, reboot, see if you still have the login loop issue. If you still have issues ,then look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

Look for the error messages, which are indicated by (EE). In my case, it says

Failed to load /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so: libnvidia-tls.so.340.46: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 

I do a locate libglx.so, it seems the file is sitting in another locations. It is time to rebuild xorg.conf

Rebuild xorg.conf

Have a look at this guide: https://lkubuntu.wordpress.com/2011/08/30/quick-and-easy-way-to-fix-x11-issues/

This was my last step and I was able to boot to the GUI.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Regular VACUUM ANALYZE Still Recommended Under 9.1?

Can Feynman Diagrams Be Used To Represent Any Perturbation Theory?